Kent G. Cprek
Kent Cprek is a shareholder and serves as the firm’s ERISA Practice Leader. He received his undergraduate education at the University of Michigan, where he graduated with honors in 1974. He earned a Juris Doctor degree, cum laude, from the University of Michigan Law School in 1978 and a Master of Laws in Taxation from the Georgetown University Law Center in 1984. While in law school, he was a law clerk in the Legal Department of the United Auto Workers working on ERISA litigation, trade adjustment assistance and labor law reform. Kent practiced in Detroit, Michigan from 1978 to early 1981 with a focus on labor and ERISA litigation. He worked at the Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation on pioneering pension plan termination cases from 1981 until joining the firm in May 1984.
Kent has worked almost exclusively on ERISA Plan issues since 1981 with many published cases on withdrawal liability, bankruptcy and ERISA issues, including significant appellate work, as well as extensive credits in writing and teaching. He is a member of the state bars of Pennsylvania, Michigan and the District of Columbia. He is admitted to practice in the Supreme Court of the United States, multiple United States District Courts and most of the U.S. Courts of Appeals. His practice concentrates on the representation of Taft‑Hartley fringe benefit funds in ERISA, tax, and bankruptcy counseling and litigation.
- Supreme Court of Pennsylvania
- State Bar of Michigan
- District of Columbia Bar
- Supreme Court of the United States
- United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit, Second Circuit, Third Circuit, Fourth Circuit, Fifth Circuit, Sixth Circuit, Seventh Circuit and Ninth Circuit
- United States District Courts for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania, District of Columbia and Eastern and Western Districts of Michigan
- University of Michigan, Bachelor of Arts with Honors, 1974
- University of Michigan Law School, Juris Doctor, cum laude, 1978
- Georgetown University Law Center, Master of Laws in Taxation, 1984